Candidates should ideally hold a PCN Level 2 approval in the method as a minimum and have at least 3 years’ experience in NDT/Inspection before attempting a Level 3 course. See also the latest edition of PCN/GEN for the minimum requirements for examinations.
Candidates must also pass the PCN Level 3 Basic Module before attempting a PCN Level 3 Main Method. Candidates then may opt to take the course which deals specifically with ultrasonic test information. These are ideal training courses for the PCN Level 3 Practitioner examination, covering basic and main methods.
Upgraded knowledge of the following:
- Eddy Current History
- Electrical properties
- Principles of magnetism
- Principles of electromagnetism
- Eddy Current Calculations
- Alternative/Advanced uses of Eddy Current
- Eddy Current inspection equipment
- Equipment calibration
- Defect detection and evaluation
- Eddy Current techniques
- Procedure Writing
- Relevant standards
- PCN documentation.
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Eddy Current Testing Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Eddy Current Testing operators for which he is certified. Eddy Current Testing Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Eddy Current Testing methods, establish Eddy Current Testing techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Eddy Current Testing Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Eddy Current Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Eddy Current test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Eddy Current Testing personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT (BINDT).
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, BINDT strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.
The candidate shall fulfil the minimum requirements of vision and training prior to the qualification examination and shall fulfil the minimum requirements for industrial experience prior to certification:
Eddy Current Testing Level 3
Minimum of 48 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic (Subject to possible reductions)) and 36 months documented experience.
As this course is based on your own individual requirements, please contact us for a personalised price.